FOUNDED ON DECEMBER 27, 1948
To promote the advancement and dissemination of knowledge of Aeronautical Sciences and Aircraft Engineering and elevation of Aeronautical profession.
Over the years, the Society has grown into a major professional body in the field of aeronautics, aviation & aerospace. The Society has 16 branches at all the important centers of aviation in the counter viz. Agra, Bangalore, Kolkata, Chandigarh, Chennai, Goa, Hyderabad, Kanpur, Kochi, Mumbai, Nasik, Nagpur, Pune, New Delhi, Sunabeda & Thiruvananthapuram. Society also has Journal Division and CFD Division at Bangalore.
Its membership of more than 11,000 is drawn from all major Aeronautical establishments such as Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. D.G.C.A., Defense Research and Development Establishments, Academic Institutions, Aeronautical Development Agency, Indian Air Force, Indian Space Research Organization, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Airports Authority of India, Air India, Pawan Hans, Aero Industry in Private Sector. Private Airlines, Defense Res. & Dev. Laboratory, Army Aviation Corps. The Society also drives its strength from financial support and active participation of its Corporate Members. The society has 59 Corporate Members from both National and International Sectors.
The Society is managed by a Council consisting of a President, President Elect, Seven Vice Presidents, the Honorary Secretary General, Honorary Treasurer and fifteen members, twelve of whom are elected and the other three nominated to represent special interests. The Council is elected every year at the Annual General Meeting. The Council manages the affairs of the Society with specialist support from its ten committees namely; Awards Committee, Academics Committee, Grading Committee, Planning & Programme Committee, Standing Committee, Finance Committee, Building Committee, Editorial and Journal Committee, Rules Committee and International Co-operation Committee. These specialist committees give direction and plans activities of the Society.
Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the First Prime Minister of independent India was also the First Patron-in-Chief of the Society.
Earlier, the Governing Council had the proud privilege of being guided by various luminaries in the profession, including late Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, former President of India.
ACTIVITIES OF THE SOCIETY
- Fraternization amongst professionals.
- Enrolls individuals, Institutions & Industries are members.
- Conducts examinations in aeronautical engineering equivalent to a degree from an Indian University.
- Publishes a Quarterly International Journal & monthly E-news.
- Encourages Indian authors to write books on aeronautical/aerospace subjects.
- Encourages young professionals to participate in International Conferences.
- Confers Awards of Excellence.
- Conducts Annual Essay Competitions for Students/Scientists/Engineers.
- Provides a platform for Industry - R&D - Academic interaction.
- Participates with the Government in the formulation of policies, procedures and guidelines.